If you are a good backpacker, then you need waterproof hiking boots. The process of making your boots water-resistant is quite simple.
With the passage of time, your boots lost their water resistance and became wet boots. You need to make them again as they were. This is a simple task which you can accomplish yourself in a very short time.
You will need a few products, and it won’t take too long except that the boots dry overnight. First of all, you should buy some waterproofing products for leather or fabric hiking boots from any outdoors store near you.
Before going hiking or backpacking, you need to waterproof your boots. There are some simple steps that you have to follow to get rid of this problem.
1) First thing first, clean your old non-waterproofing boots with a toothbrush and soap or boot cleaner spray. Make sure water is running out from the boots.
2) Now, apply the first layer of waterproofing by brush or spray in an even way on your boots. You can also use a sponge for this purpose. Let this layer dry before going to the next step.
3) Apply second and third coats according to the need, but make sure you haven’t applied more than three coats.
4) Now, you can use mink oil on your boots to make them look shiny and new again. Make sure you don’t leave water spots after applying this oil.
Leather is porous in nature, so waterproofing should be done at least twice a year for keeping the best functionality of boots.
If the leakage or dampness in your boots is more than usual, you need to attend to the problem immediately because this can cause serious problems for your feet.
Follow these steps and make your boots waterproof again. If you are still not satisfied with the water-resistant work of your boots, then take them to a professional cobbler who is experienced enough for this task.
To waterproof full grain leather boots, you need to follow the same steps that are given above for fabric and leather boots.
1) First of all, clean your old boots with soap or cleaner spray.
2) Now, use a brush or a sponge in an even way to apply the first coat on your boots. Let it dry before going to the next step.
3) You can apply 2 to 3 coats according to your need, but make sure that you don’t give any extra layer. If you do, then it will ruin the water-resistance of your boots in the long run.
4) Apply mink oil at the end away from the seams on both sides of the boot and let it dry for a while.
5) Now, use a cloth to rub your boots so that they become shiny again.
In this way, you can waterproof leather hiking boots and make them more resistant to wetness or water leakage. However, if the problem is severe, then take the help of a professional cobbler who knows how to waterproofing hiking boots.
To waterproof synthetic boots, you need to follow the same steps that are given above for fabric and leather boots. Synthetic and nylon boots don’t get wet easily like leather or fabric ones; however, it is still good to make them water-resistant.
1) First of all, clean your old boots with a brush or cleaner spray.
2) Use even a coat of waterproofing spray to apply on your boots. Make sure that you don’t give any extra layer. If you do, then it will ruin the water-resistance of your boots in the long run.
3) Now, let this layer dry before going to the next step. You can use a sponge to make it easier.
4) If you want, then you can apply mink oil at the end away from the seams on both sides of your boots and let it dry for a while.
5) Now, use a cloth to rub leather so that they become shiny again.
These are some simple steps to waterproof synthetic boots. You don’t have to take the help of a professional like for other boots, but still, if the problem is severe, then take their help to solve your problem.
If you love hiking on the mountain or going for a backpacking trip, then you might have to face this problem at one point in time. It is necessary to waterproof your boots as much as possible because it will keep your feet safe in wet and rainy conditions.
If the leakage is not controlled, then there are chances that the humidity present in socks can cause serious problems for your feet. This is why you need to take care of this problem as soon as possible.
Waterproofing your boots regularly will keep them durable and long-lasting for a long time. The process is simple and quick. Just make sure you have applied it in the right way. Otherwise, it can do more harm than good.
If you keep your boots dry and clean, then they will become water-resistant on their own.
You need to find the best waterproof hiking boots if you want to enjoy your hike and eliminate the problem of leakage. The best thing is to take a look at a few features before buying any waterproof boots.
a) You should buy boots which are made from leather as it is able to retain the water-resistance for a long time. It will also keep your feet dry for more time.
b) Make sure the boots are breathable and have enough ventilation to keep your feet dry.
c) Try to find a pair of boots that covers the entire ankle. This will help you to protect your feet properly.
d) Get a pair that has removable insoles so that it can be replaced if it is damaged or wet.
e) Look for a pair that has high-quality and durable stitching.
f) Try to find boots that are made from rubber, leather or fabric. These boot material will keep your feet dry as they are water-resistant in nature.
There are some really good waterproofing products in the market which you can use on your boots. You have to check for its popularity and effectiveness. Some of these products include Gear Aid ReviveX, Nikwax footwear cleaning gel, nubuck hiking boots & suede boots Waterproofing Spray, Leather CPR Waterproofing Protective Spray, etc.
You need to apply waterproofing products at least two times a year in order to keep your boots dry and comfortable during hiking or backpacking trips. You can also try these methods: Dry the insulation before putting them back in the boots and use them.
Just wear your extra socks when you are going for a hike or backpacking trip. This will be helpful in keeping your feet dry and comfortable during your journey.
Following tips can help you in protecting your hiking boots against wet conditions:
If you find that your hiking boots are already leaking, then you should take care of this problem as soon as possible.